Friday, October 1, 2010

If in doubt...reboot

So I’m not a computer guru.  I am not completely illiterate, but suave and debonair, I am not. 
One time, our old computer started misbehaving.  We experienced black/blue screens, ominous error messages and slow reactions.  Being the computer guru I assessed the problem, and determined that we had a virus. (I’m not a computer doctor, but I play one on t.v. – ok,yeah not really).  My diagnosis was verified when little, animated bugs began to eat thru my desktop. I don’t hold an advanced degree in computer technology, but I knew right then and there that it was a virus… and a bad one.  By the way… kudos to the developer of that little gem.  Nice touch with the bugs – don’t let anyone tell you that you are creeeeepppppy!
This situation aside, I don’t know the difference between a RAM and a ROM, I don’t know if that terminology is current, nor do I care.  I know how to do only what is necessary, and not much more.  Whether it’s learning a new software or experiencing a computer problem, I tend to putter around blindly until one of two things happen. Either I find the desired solution, or I reboot.  Much like a traveling man, I won’t ask for directions unless absolutely necessary. 
And if all else fails, reboot.  But isn’t that much like our relationship with God?  Rebooting means turning everything off, and giving it to God.  Christians know that God is in charge but yet we don’t call Him up to bat until we have exhausted all our genius, human ways.  After assessing one of my human solutions, (which NEVER turn out like they are supposed to) then a reboot  scenario, I inevitably realize that much of my stress could have been prevented if I would have rebooted first, consulted the Lord, and waited in patience. Because ultimately that’s what happens anyway, but only after I worry and stress out first.   I often wonder how much less stress I would have, if I weren’t completely impatient.
Ever hear the phrase “it’s always the last place you look”?  Well obviously it is, because after you located the item, you aren’t going to continue looking, are you?  Well maybe that’s how it is with the Lord.  But rather than the last place you look, maybe if He were the first place you look, then a reboot wouldn’t be needed at all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment... but beward, you may need your own padded room... just saying...